What's In Today's Episode:
It’s the finale episode of season one! And the kickass girlboss I have for you today has been on my dream guest list since the very beginning.
I’m thrilled to introduce you to Jolie of Brim Papery. She’s a kickass hand letterer and not to mention - one boss bitch (a wink to her amazing boss bitch products). I am obsessed with her mugs and if you’re following me on Instagram, you’ve seen mine time and time again.
Jolie is an inspiration. We talk about getting vulnerable, the stigma behind being an opinionated female and her experience of that, as well as her really hard religious journey that a lot of you might relate to. She’s spent the past decade learning, growing,and changing in really big ways, and she opens up about it all. Get ready to dive deep into her story because she’s holding nothing back!
Jolie shares the un-pretty realities of...
- Starting out as a Spanish teacher and feeling lost
- Becoming a stay at home mom and disliking the dynamic
- Transitioning out of a Christian identity in front of an audience
- Losing followers who didn’t understand her changing vibe
- Feeling overwhelmed with just keeping her business going
And the crazy, inspiring ways she...
- Found a fulfilling outlet in making and building a business
- Came into herself in a decade and formed her identity
- Grew her team and shared products with retail stores
- Overcame mom guilt and found balance putting herself first
- Decided to put her children in childcare and focus on her work
We often revert to not being ourselves because we’re afraid of judgement. While Jolie is unapologetic (just like her t-shirt), she has struggled with feeling the fear that comes with being outspoken. In fact, her most popular product led to the loss of a number of followers. But that pain has only led to a whole lot of growth.
In this episode, you'll learn the GRIT + GLITTER of:
- Learning to make space for yourself as a mother and a boss
- Giving yourself permission to do things that make your life easier
- Working through life transitions and dealing with other people’s perspectives
- Accepting that you will never please everyone and working with integrity
- Overcoming struggles with fear and anxiety about growing and achieving
The Raw Truth of Jolie Ankrom:
“When you are vulnerable, you realize so quickly how not alone you are and how human all of your problems are.”
“How people are judging me is really none of my business.”
“Just stop. Stop inflicting this guilt on yourself for making choices that benefit you.”
“When you find places to put yourself first that rejuvenate you, you’re going to be a better parent and a better person.”
“I will never ever be everyone’s cup of tea.”
“I didn’t feel comfortable anymore forcing myself to have a definitive answer for all these major questions. I don’t know and it’s exhausting to pretend that I do know.”
“There is so much to be gained from vulnerability.”
“So much of who I was, was for other people, and it wasn’t making me happy.”
Share your favorite inspiration from this episode on social media + use #GritandGlitterPodcast!
Help me hit my next podcast milestone!
Feeling inspired week after week? You can do 3 easy things to help me continue to grow the podcast!
1. Subscribe to the podcast in iTunes, so you won’t miss a single episode.
2. If you're loving the podcast, please leave a 5-star review on iTunes! I read every single comment!
3. Share the podcast with your friends, especially if you think it could help them, and spread the #GritandGlitterPodcast love.
Your support helps me continue to grow the podcast and do inspiring things in this space! Already done all 3? You’re a rockstar! Thank you!
Share your story in the comments.
Can you relate to feeling afraid to be yourself? I love getting to hear from you about your own stories. Comment below and share your story with me about how fear and vulnerability have played a role in your life.